Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Why didn't I think of this sooner!

...adding garden art to custom planters makes for an exciting combo!

While in college I worked at Westwood Gardens, a successful garden center in Fayetteville, Arkansas. We were always getting all types of garden art...  some I liked, and some...  well, it was just hideous! With that said, I had my eye on this pair of contemporary birds -- I liked them. (As a college student -- I did not need a set of bird yard art to trip over and break) The birds didn't fly out of the store. So, I'd display them around the store... first, with the other yard art... then, up by the front door... next, up onto the check out counter -- Nothing!  Customers didn't seem to share my interest in these long legged creatures... 

I love doing custom planters, I get excited thinking about new and different combinations...  and this was my latest idea! -- I'm gonna stick those birds in a planter! I continued with the contemporary style of the birds... combining them with plants what would create the image of the birds just simply hanging out.. in their own natural habit. I think it makes for tranquil, and exciting combo.  Oh ya... and the planter sold the first week!

To create the natural habitat i used: Horsetail Rush - Equisetum hyemale, Variegated Sweet Flag - Acorus gramineus 'Variegata' and Wood Fern - Dryopteris sp.

I never got to Miss Kitty on the table!







2 comments:

  1. Hey Jonathan!!! I love the blog! check mine out but its not as directed towards something like yours. I LOVE the idea of incorporating sculpture into your garden. I wish you could come work on our house... our yard is ALL ROCKY SOIL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abby, You are sweet! Your blog is so cute -- love the vintage style -- and cute name! I follow you on FB too! Your cakes look amazing! -- too much fun!

    ReplyDelete