Friday, September 17, 2010

Mini Road Trip, Carne Asada Burrito and Silk Floss Tree -- Long Beach Memories...

Imagine a country boy from Arkansas with big dreams -- a young, hard working man...  passionate about plants .....headed out to California.

Well, at the age of 21 what was me! My big dreams and excitement for plants had led me to an internship with the nation's largest chain of garden centers -- Armstrong. It was a wonderful experience. I bounced from store to store all summer. Working in different cities such as: Pasadena, Newport Beach, Anaheim and many more.

On this particular day I was to work at the Long Beach location. It was a beautiful day, I recall the blue of the sky was so intense that day... the season was starting to turn to fall -- a time for picture perfect weather in Southern California.

But, I was running a lil late -- I was still learning to cope with 10 lane interstates and the traffic was so bad that morning. When I finally made it to the store, the staff at the Long Beach location was very welcoming -- nice people. Later in the day one of the ladies offered up a suggestion for a place to grab a quick lunch.... "They have the best Carne Asada burrito", she shared. (Now remember, I was raised on potato salad, macaroni and cheese, and catfish!  -- I didn't have a clue what Carne Asada was!)  But the other staff joined in adding -- "oh ya, you gotta go there!", "It's so good!" ...so, I took their advice -- got directions... and I was on my way.

The burrito was amazing -- my coworkers where SO right. I had scarfed down the burrito, hopped back in my car... with time to spare. I decided to drive around a bit before I went back to the garden center. A left, then a right... another right -- I was on a mini road trip in residential long beach!

AND WOWZA! What a beautiful sight! A massive tree, leafless - covered in huge pink blooms! I stopped -- got out of my truck.... The trunk of the tree was green with spines... prehistoric looking -- amazing. But, the image that sticks with me...   was standing under the canopy of that tree and looking up. A sea of pink flowers. Breath taking beauty.

This time of year the Chorisia, Silk Floss Tree start budding up -- just this week I snapped a picture of an early bloom here in my Hillcrest neighborhood in San Diego. Isn't it great to be reminded of a beautiful place, a fun trip or a loving person -- all from a flower.

A mini Road Trip, Carne Asada Burrito and a Silk Floss Tree...  My Long Beach Memories.

Chorisia Speciosa - Silk Floss Tree








2 comments:

  1. Jonathan,
    This story really resonated with me in the fact that I can relate to it; however, the comparison is slightly different to say the least. As you know growing up in Arkansas you will never take for granted those evenings you can sit on your back porch swing, sipping your glass of sweet tea, talking with old friends and being enveloped in the natural beauty Arkansas has to offer. There are too many days or evening of miserable, hot, humid, sweaty weather and not to mention the plague of accompaniment of Arkansas’s state bird-The Mosquito. We, Arkansans always look forward to the first sign of relief that fall is upon us. As the heat resides my favorite flower also makes its first appearance- Mums! Don’t get me wrong; a mum could never outshine even the humblest of flowers, but just like your Silk Floss Tree, my mum remind me of happy memories. Fall in my opinion is the best time in Arkansas. Football games, tailgating, cooking out, drinks with friends by the fire pit, fall festivals, and hayrides are just a few things we look forward to. So whenever the mums come out, I am constantly reminded of good weather and fun times I’ve had and times to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss fall days in Arkansas! I agree mums DO say FALL. Sugar Maples are my favorite plant of the fall -- wish we had them in San Deigo! Thanks for the comment Candace!

    ReplyDelete