Tuesday, September 21, 2010

New Feature: PLANT FACTS

PLANT FACT: Lichens are NOT plants.

Ironic that our first Plant Fact doesn't involve a plant? Well... recently, I saw a beautiful patch of lichen here in San Diego and snapped a photo ...got me thinking -- What is this stuff? The snapshot also reminded me of a trip I made to the New York Botanical Gardens where they had an exhibit: Lichens of the Ozarks. 

I grew up in Arkansas near the Ozark Mountains and according to the NYBG exhibit -- the Ozarks have the most diverse collection of lichen in the world. 

As a child, I always loved running out into the woods and playing with all of Mother Nature's toys... and in mind -- moss and lichens are some of her best!

So, what is this stuff? Lichens are composite organisms consisting of a symbiotic association of a fungus with a photosynthetic partner such as algae.*

Want learn more about the NYBG exhibit: Lichens of the Ozarks? ...click here!

Lichen - San Diego County, CA
*text credit, Wikipeida


2 comments: